Organist/Choir Accompanist Job Description
St. Paul’s United Methodist Church Sykesville, MD
The Organist/Choir Accompanist will be responsible for providing the service music for the worship services. The service music includes but is not limited to:
- A planned Prelude on the organ or piano at the start of the service.
- An offertory while the offering is being taken.
- A postlude at the conclusion of the service.
- Leading the hymns for the service from the organ and occasionally from the piano.
- Playing the service music for the Psalter, communion liturgy and doxology after the offering.
- Providing music during the monthly communion service while the elements are administered.
The services expected are:
- Each Sunday at 11 AM.
- Christmas Eve services.
- Special services (for example, Ash Wednesday, Maunday Thursday, Thanksgiving).
- Weddings and funerals, as needed and scheduled.
The Organist/Choir Accompanist will be responsible for accompanying the choir in rehearsal each Wednesday night 7:30-8:45 (or 9 pm) and supporting the choir director in teaching the choir new music for:
- Choral Introit.
- Choral Prayer Response.
- Choral Anthem.
- Choral Closing response.
Also accompanying the choir for a complete program of Christmas music (5-10 anthems as well as accompany soloist and other music for the program) The organist/accompanist will coordinate time off with the choir director to ensure all services can be covered. The salary is negotiable and commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.